Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Learn to love exercise!

One of the very first things I did when I found all this new, scary time on my hands...exercise! Or I should say, more exercise. Call me crazy but it was always a dream of mine to have all the time I wanted to exercise. Uh oh, how was I going to live up to that dream?

There are no more excuses! I have heard soooo many people say, I would exercise if I just had more time. Well, the new found "post career" status is the best time to come out and play, call it exercise but its more fun if you look at it as play.

For me, the best part is that I didn't have to get at 4:30 in the morning anymore. No more cold and dark runs with a flashlight hoping that drivers were paying attention while adjusting their radio or I pod. And no more dodging Detroit traffic when I tried to walk at lunch. I often wondered if I should give up since I wasn't sure if it was so good for my health to dodge cars and busses, yes busses. Note: In the city, Detroiters don't always stop at stop signs or traffic lights and busses are on a schedule.

I also knew that I couldn't keep up the pace. The 4:30 am alarm wasn't going to last much longer, funny, I thought I might have to give up my morning run, didn't know I'd be giving up my job instead.

And I don't have a bunch of perfect uninjured joints. I have a bad knee and bad shoulder.

That first week, when I didn't know what to do with myself. Getting out and running or walking or bicycling kept me going and gave me structure.

Here are the best things about exercise:

1. It is the single best thing you can do for your body. Even if you smoke. Even if you don't eat right. If you can't run, walk. If you have a bad knee or hip, swim or do pool or chair aerobics. Move!

 

2. It clears your head and gives you time to think. See where your thoughts go. You'll be surprised.

3. It gives you structure. Especially if you've just had your world turned upside down.


Here are my 5 favorite year round exercises:

1. Jogging - I know I shouldn't but I love it when my legs are up to it. I try to jog every other day. I'm lucky because I can jog nearby on dirt roads, dirt shoulders or blacktop. Cement is bad. If the weather is bad, time for a workout place and a treadmill.

2. Walking - This is what I do on the other every other day. Burns fewer calories but still good for you.

3. Yoga - I avoided this for years but finally, through the magic of Groupons, I tried it. Now I'm a believer. It takes about 3 sessions before your body gets used to it so give yourself a little time. Now I look forward to the stretching and, especially, the relaxation at the end. Tip: start with a Beginner's class. You'll be more likely to stick with it.

4. Bicycling - Okay, this isn't quite year round in Michigan, but it's good for at least six months. And you can cover a lot of ground and see the seasons change up close. And it's a good activities with your others. I see some people bike with their dog on a leash, the dog might think its a little unfair but I guess it works for the people.

5. Zumba Gold - Or regular Zumba. But if you need to be careful with your joints, Zumba Gold is great. Tip: find a fun class with a good instructor. You'll know. If its boring, try somewhere else or try another instructor.

Where to exercise:
  • I just read in Mindful Magazine that the average American spends 90% of their time indoors. Time to get outside, my first choic. The first time I knew I was happy being retired was when I was out running one warm, sunny fall day. Its a myth that runners/joggers don't smile. We're smiling on the inside sometimes, but it's there.


  • I'm lucky, I have a lifetime membership at a local workout club where I can use the treadmill or do weights. But Planet Fitness is only $10 / month. I joined there because I liked the facility and it really is cheap. They have tons of treadmills and equipment.



  • I also joined CC Plus fitness for yoga and zumba. Its not as cheap but the classes and facility are really good.

2 comments:

  1. I started to exercise when I quit smoking on 7/11/88. Essentially I replaced one addiction with another. After running for 20+ years and enjoying them all, I now walk with occasional sprints of running mixed in. Exercise is good for the mind, body and spirit. I can't imagine starting a day without exercise.

    ReplyDelete