Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Spirituality and finding the right church

Church 3
Methodist Church
Another of my "to-dos" when I left my job, was to talk to the co-pastor of my church, my spiritual advisor. I was in such shock. I wanted to cry, I wanted help, I wanted an understanding shoulder...and I wanted it now!  No one else could have ever possibly gone through what I was going through! No one else has ever been jilted...by their career!

I was glad I had joined a church years before and had set up a relationship with the pastor that would allow me to feel comfortable in contacting her. Thank goodness...sigh.

In earlier years, I had thought off and on about meaning in my life, but when you're working full time and maintaining social activities and friendships, who has time for meaning? Retiring, or not working, gave me more time to think about this. Spirituality is a topic a lot of us shy away from in conversation.

But all I can say is that if you ever thought about finding meaning and/or joining a church. Now is the time. If you don't do it after your first retirement, when will you do it?


Church 1
Catholic Church

Finding the right church isn't always that easy. Here is my very simple take on it.

1. Take your time and visit a lot of different churches. Go twice, or more. See how it works out over time.

 


Church 2
Episcopal Church
2. Determine your criteria. What denomination? Do you want a lot of activities? Do you want volunteer opportunities? Do you want to be involved? Do you want a casual service? Formal service? Lots of kids? Families? Singles? One reason I liked our church was because it was a husband and wife team. That seemed very "equal opportunity-ish" to me.



Church 4
Lutheran Church
3. Consider distance. I visited one church several times and really liked it, but it was just a little too far away. This is a tough one. Some of the best churches are large and far away. People drive miles to get there. How far do you want to drive? Do you want it to be easy to get to? I knew I needed something close. I drove a good distance for work so I wanted to stick closer to home on weekends. And, just in case I live in my house another 30 years, I want to be on the "shuttle" route.







4. Does someone speak to you? Ideally, the minister or pastor will greet you, but what about other people? Do you feel welcome? Did you like the people you spoke to?
 
5. Most importantly, did the message or sermon reach you? I visited one church that just outright wanted to scare people into submission.  The message at my current church spoke to me, I felt like I had been led there. It felt like home.

First Presbyterian Church
Presbyterian Church


And now that I have a church I like, I have the time to put more of myself into it. It offers all kinds of volunteer opportunities, socializing and activities. I guess it was all meant to be.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment