Thursday, May 16, 2013

Thrift Shopping

Ok, this doesn't sound like so much fun, but it can be.

When I was first "retired", I wasn't collecting a pension. This meant I had no revenue stream which made me nervous. I had applied for unemployment but hadn't yet received approval for it. It was just like dieting when I forbid yourself from certain foods, the first thing I felt when I knew I couldn't go shopping...was that I really wanted to go shopping. After all, I had all this new time on my hands and I wanted clothes to go with my lifestyle. And while I'm not a big shopper, it does get my endorphins engaged. I got depressed. Was I going to spend the rest of my life never buying another new thing? I knew better, but that little voice in the back of my brain was saying Noooooooo....



So, I went to a Thrift Store! Best deal in town, especially on Sale Days! I bought a big bag of stuff for about $20. It was so fun! And I was smiling again! And it wasn't just what I bought, I had fun with the other ladies.  We talked about what looked good, where we could wear it, and that if we didn't like it when we got home, oh well...

Tips for Thrifting

1. Go with a Plan

Some of these stores are HUGE! I could spend all day there if I didn't get hungry or need a restroom.  Figure out what you are looking for and TRY to stick to it. What colors do you want? Are you looking for something unique? Or something basic, like a white blouse? You can look at other things, but remember what you came for. You can always return to the store.

I remember on my first visit to one huge store, I came home with three blazers even though I had a closet full of them that I would never need! But they looked so good! And the other ladies told me I looked cute and I could wear them to lunch. Trust me, I've never worn them to lunch...or dinner...or drinks.

With smaller stores its not as much of a problem because you may only find one or two items.




2. Wear a camisole and exercise shorts.

A lot of these places don't have dressing rooms. I usually wear a camisole so I can try stuff over it. Another trick I use is to find a skirt, slip it on over my pants or shorts, and then I can slip on pants under the skirt and remove the skirt to see how the pants look.



3. Watch your purse

I'm sure I was being scoped out at one of these stores by a guy who thought the purse in the basket was mine. I had found it on the shelf and was trying to decide if I should buy it.

There are a lot of people of all kinds in these stores on sale days. You may want to keep your purse in your car and  keep your keys in your pocket or pinned to your clothes. You can always run back to your car for your purse when you check out.

Another thing I do is to load all my potentials over my purse so it is buried at the bottom. I also hook the handle around a hangar and hook the hangar to the buggy so no one can grab the purse and run.



4. Know what's currently in style.

Some of these clothes may be really old but look new if they've been in someone's closet for years. You don't want to get home only to realize that your look is old and dated.  If its really cheap it may not matter, but if you buy a lot, like I usually do, its better to have some idea of current fashion.

5. Bring cash

A lot of stores don't take checks or credit cards. One way I limit my "over zealous self" is to bring a set amount of cash and then I can't buy more. (Although they usually have an ATM nearby.)



Note: Thrift stores are different from Resale or Consignment stores which I'll talk about in another post.

2 comments:

  1. The Internet has made it possible for us to shop online from the comfort of our homes, saving us gas money and the time it would take for us to make the trip to our local thrift store.
    thrift shop

    ReplyDelete
  2. your own company supplies silicone trails from the wider connected with 150mm in order to 800mm which are applicable in different ones connected with excavators, earthmovings, farming machines along with the additional pieces involving equipment. Construction

    ReplyDelete